About Buckinghamshire 

528,400 people live in Buckinghamshire with the south of the county more densely populated whilst the rural north much sparser.

64% live in the areas covered by Chiltern, South Bucks and Wycombe District Councils whilst the remaining 36% of the Bucks population lives in Aylesbury Vale.

 

Our Challenges

The health of people in Buckinghamshire is generally better than the England average and life expectancy for men and women is higher than the England average.

However, in the most deprived wards in Bucks men are expected to live 14 years less and women 18 years than in the least deprived.

Our population is expected to grow by 14% by 2033 with a 44% increase in people aged 60+ years and a 140% increase in people aged 90+ years.

This change increase demand for primary care services and specifically an increase in demand for people affected by dementia and other long term conditions.

Unhealthy lifestyles present a major challenge to the population’s health and demand for services.

In 2012, 22.4% of adults were classified as obese and 62.6% of adults in 2012-14 (roughly 261,000 adults) are either overweight or obese.

Smoking among adults aged 18 and over in Buckinghamshire who were routine and manual workers was reported as 28.1% in 2014 (compared to all adults in Buckinghamshire of 15.1%).

In Buckinghamshire 1 in 5 adults are drinking at levels that lead to an increased risk of cancer, high blood pressure and other conditions.